Mortlach 16 Year Old Pouch SINGLE MALT WHISKY £7.95

Mortlach 16 Year Old Pouch
£7.95

Mortlach 16 Year Old Pouch

SINGLE MALT WHISKY

ALC 43.4% | 5CL
£7.95
Out of stock
Only 0 left
A mere 840m North of last month's distillery, Dufftown, Mortlach (pronounced Mort-Lack) was not only the first legal distillery in the area but the only distillery for over 60 years, up until 1886 when Glenfiddich came on the scene. Originally founded by James Findlater, the distillery changed hands a few times between 1831 an 1853, and during this brief hiatus, little whisky was actually produced, with the distillery buildings being used as a brewery and a church. It was in 1853 when engineer George Cowie joined that production escalated, and by 1896 his son, Alexander Cowie takes control of the distillery and rebuilds and expands to double its capacity. He worked alongside famous distillery engineer Charles Doig and implemented Mortlach's famous 2.81 distillation process, which is still used today. Mortlach has 6 different copper pot stills (three wash and three spirit) and a very unique distillation process. Wash still No.3 and spirit still No.3 work in tandem as a traditional pairing Wash stills No.1 and No.2 then run, with the first 80% going to spirit still No.2 Wash still No.1 and No.2 continue to run, with the remaining 20% going to spirit still No.1 the smallest of the stills named 'The Wee Witchie' Spirit still No.1 then distills this last 20% twice with no cuts made Finally, spirit still No.1 is distilled for a third time, with just the hearts taken All this adds up to the new make spirit having been distilled 2.81 times. Your whisky this month, the 16 Year Old Distiller's Dram is 100% Sherry Cask aged, with a mix of first-fill and refill giving a wider range of sherry cask character. We got meaty port tacos, sweet peach and rich honeyed porridge.